(a) In this chapter:
(1) “Administrator” means an individual, partnership, or corporation engaged by the board of trustees of a group to implement the policies established by the board of trustees and to provide day-to-day management of the group.
(2) “Commissioner” means the commissioner of insurance.
(3) “Department” means the Texas Department of Insurance.
(4) “Estimated premium subject to experience modifier” means the premium derived from applying the filed rates to estimated payrolls and before the adjustment of the premium by experience modifiers, schedule rating plan factors, deductible credits, minimum premiums, and premium discounts.
(5) “Group” means a workers’ compensation self-insurance group that holds a certificate of approval under this chapter.
(5-a) “Managing company” means an individual, partnership, or corporation engaged by the board of trustees of a group to implement the policies established by the board of trustees and to provide day-to-day management of the group.
(6) “Modified schedule rating premium” means premium derived from applying filed rates to estimated payrolls and then adjusted by the experience modifier and any schedule rating plan factors.
(7) “Same or similar” means, with regard to members of a group, that:
(A) the governing classification code of the members of the group is the same; or
(B) the members of the group are engaged in similar operations.
(8) “Service company” means a person that provides services to the group other than services provided by the managing company, including:
(A) claims adjustment;
(B) safety engineering;
(C) compilation of statistics and the preparation of premium, loss, and tax reports;
(D) preparation of other required self-insurance reports;
(E) development of members’ assessments and fees; and
(F) administration of a claim fund.
(b) For purposes of this chapter, when used as a modifier of “benefits,” “liabilities,” or “obligations,” the term “workers’ compensation” includes both workers’ compensation and employers’ liability.
Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 275, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1176 (H.B. 472), § 3.04, eff. September 1, 2007.