(a) The commissioner by rule shall establish a procedure by which an insurance carrier:
(1) may recoup an overpayment of income benefits from future income benefit payments that are not reimbursable under Section 410.209; and
(2) shall pay an underpayment of income benefits, including interest on accrued but unpaid benefits, in accordance with this subtitle.
(b) The procedure under Subsection (a) must include:
(1) a process by which an injured employee may notify the insurance carrier of an underpayment;
(2) the time frame and methodology by which an insurance carrier shall pay to an injured employee an underpayment;
(3) a process by which an insurance carrier shall notify an injured employee of an overpayment of income benefits;
(4) the time frame and methodology by which an insurance carrier may recoup an overpayment through the reduction of a future income benefit payment; and
(5) a method for coordinating overpayments that may be recouped from future income benefits and reimbursements described by Section 410.209.
(c) The procedure for recouping overpayments under Subsection (a)(1) must take into consideration the cause of the overpayment and minimize the financial hardship to the injured employee.
Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1153 (H.B. 2089), § 2, eff. September 1, 2011.